am researching the setup of a global multi-platform media cooperative.. joining the traditions of socialism, anarchism, communism, cooperatives, etc with the so called social network economy...
I think the element missing from all the Web 2.0 evangalism is the social justice aspect... plenty of rhetoric about the transformational power of the Internet but very little talk about social, ennvironmental or economic justice... most of us are precariat, online workers, and are at best sharecropping the long tailhttp://openfsm.net/projects/australian-social-forum/blog/2008/11/06/media-cooperative-pilot-project/
also, researching the World Social Forum process, and hoping to organise an www.AustralianSocialForum.org
the first media cooperative project is www.Permaculture.TV
Global multi-platform media cooperative
From November 2008-January 2009 a Media Cooperative Pilot Project will be run by Nicholas Roberts and Cameron using the Octapod Association as a base to develop the self-sustaining Media Cooperative. The main 5 sub-projects will be
1. Media Cooperative - media democracy, democratic and civic media, state of media generally, social media and participation age, and the feasibility of establishing a global multi-platform media cooperative. The economics and politics of media in Australia and the world, the concentration of ownership, the propaganda model of the mass media, including the new media. The state of community media.
2. Coop Australia - the state the cooperative sector in Australia, stories from the frontlines of Australian cooperators, the history of Australian cooperation, the effects of neoliberalism, the last 30 years, responses to the current economic and polotical situation
3. Permaculture.TV - a rich media, video, audio and text multi-platform media project about the permaculture movement worldwide. It’s effects locally and globally.
4. EcoBurb.TV - ecological suburbs, information, people, products, topics, stories from the suburban renaissance via community gardens, street revivals, public transport, urban gardening. Stories about the retrofitting of homes and gardens, individually and collectively.
5. WorkerCooperatives.com - the local and global worker coooperatives scene. The stages, players, dramas, comedy, tragedy and hope of the process where people take control of their own destiny by taking over their work places, and creating democracy in their own workplaces. Looking at worker cooperatives in Spain, South America and the USA. Broadly looking at the solidarity economy and a response to the wreckage left by the financial and ecological crisis
6. Australian Social Foru
-Over 10 years as project manager, producer & webmaster in high-level web, media & IT roles
-Prince trained and experienced in News Ltd HQ in Sydney
• 2008 - Project volunteer at European Social Forum, Malmo. Sweden; media center, documentation, language interpretation, research for organising an Australian Social Forum www.AustralianSocialForum.org | www.flickr.com/esf2008 | esf2008.blip.tv
• 2008 - Producer for science and sustainability web communications agency BoaB Interactive; www.BoaB.info
• 2008 - Project consultant to The Byron Shire Echo newspaper with hyper-local news-web-print strategy, revenue model, system documentation www.byronecho.com.au
• 2007-2008 - Web project manager for a travel industry portal; budget $500 000, 10 staff, 20,000 web-pages; www.stellaresorts.com.au
• 2007 - Webmaster for Royal Australian Institute of Architects
• 2005-2006 - Proprietor & manager of own micro-ecommerce & web hosting business
• 2004-2005 - Project manager & webmaster for regional peak arts organization Octapod Association (running websites for This Is Not Art, Electrofringe, National Young Writers Festival, Sound Summit, Environmental Awareness Raising Festival) NSW Arts cultural audit, festival websites
• 2004-2005 - Technical manager & webmaster for TIN Radio FM/online community radio
• 2003-2005 - Project manager at digital multimedia agency: websites, TV, audio, DVDs, CD's, VB software development
• 2000-2003 - Webmaster, producer & project manager at Nationwide News Ltd (The Australian / The Daily Telegraph etc) www.TheAustralian.com.au & www.dailytelegraph.com.au
• 1999-2000 - Webmaster Meat & Livestock Australia
• 1999-1998 - Web developer and designer in web, advertising and IT contracts London, UK (Guinness, Hewlett Packard etc)
• 1997 - Web designer - Evatt Foundation etc