P2P Foundation

The Foundation for Peer to Peer Alternatives

We are trying to get a few questions answered at http://socialsynergyweb.org/opensourceecology/content/organized-inq...

namely, what do you know about that already exists in the realm of projects that are actively developing "open source" technology, or public domain/copylefted technology?

You can leave a reply right here, and we'll link it to the wiki site.

We will follow up here with more questions soon

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's my probably too-long list. Hope this is the kind of stuff you were looking for.

I am even more interested in trying to figure out how to organize and share the physical sources needed to manufacture some of these things (and even more importantly, to begin cooperative agri/permaculture).

OpenPandora.org "Ultra portability without sacrificing capability.

muio.org "The muio interface is a modular system for sensing and controlling the Real World, from programmes such as Pure Data, MAX/MSP, SuperCollider, Processing or something you have written yourself.

BugLabs.net "BUG makes it fun and easy to build any gadget you can imagine. Build familiar things like digital cameras and GPS locators or create new devices like a LoCamMotion or a GeoPhotoShooter or an Accel-o-Mailer or ... the list is endless!

Arduino.cc "Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.

Rowetel.com/ucasterisk "The goal of this project is to provide free hardware designs for telephone systems. Both the hardware and software are open. You are free to copy, modify and re-use the hardware designs. The hardware for a complete embedded Asterisk IP PBX (including multiple analog ports or a T1/E1) can be built for a few hundred dollars. No PC required!

Ethernut.de "Ethernut is an Open Source Hardware and Software Project for building tiny Embedded Ethernet Devices.

Ethernet-MP3.de

PeterTodd.org/art/source-code "For the benefit of the community I am making the source code to my artworks available under creative commons licenses, mainly the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License for the hardware designs and the GPL for firmware. See COPYING files for details. Note that my intent with this choice of licenses is to allow people to learn from my work practices, allow people to incorporate my firmware into their own open sourced projects, and prevent other from making direct copies of my artwork for commercial purposes. If these licenses don't suit your needs feel free to contact me about what you want to do with my work.

Ronja.TwiBright.com "Ronja is a free technology project for reliable optical data links with a current range of 1.4km and a communication speed of 10Mbps full duplex.

InventGeek.com/Projects/HomeTheater/HomeTheater.aspx "DIY home projectors are nothing new. For years people have been trying to make their own projectors due to the high cost of real LCD projectors.

InventGeek.com "was founded with the sole purpose of celebrating the creative powers of the geek! For eons man has been changing the world around us to fit his needs, by harnessing primeval forces and tampering with the just out of grasp in an attempt to better mankind.

Ndiyo.org "Ndiyo, pronounced nn-dee-yo, is the Swahali word for "yes"

Lists.DuskGlow.com/mailman/listinfo/open-graphics "The Open Graphics Project

erikyyy.de/tempest "Tempest for Eliza is a Program that uses your computer monitor to send out AM radio signals.

Robotics.EECS.Berkeley.edu "UC Berkeley Robotics and Intelligent Machines Lab Home Page

ax84.com "The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project

OKVM.sf.net "The okvm project has developed open source console and KVM management software - and open source KVM hardware.

CharmedLabs.com "Game Boy + LEGO = Robot

OpenEEG.sf.net "The OpenEEG project is about making plans and software for do-it-yourself EEG devices available for free (as in GPL).

icculus.org/manticore "Manticore is an open source hardware design for a 3D graphics accelerator

LEOX.org "The goal of the LEOX project is to have a complete, free, open source, set of hardware and software components usable to build an embedded computer with its operating system that can be incorporated easily into a FPGA or into an ASIC...

BotProductions.com/pv/proc.html "Photovoltaics In a High School Lab

TAPR.org/ohl.html "The TAPR Open Hardware License

Elphel.com "Imaging solutions with Free software and open hardware

www.CS.Berkeley.edu/~pal/research/mate.html "Maté: Building Application-Specific Sensor Network Language Runtimes

HandyBoard.com "68HC11 microcontroller project

HandyBoard.com/cricket "PIC16C715 based

OpenCollector.org "Open Collector carries listings and news for free EDA software and circuit designs.

OpenCores.org "OpenCores is a loose collection of people who are interested in developing hardware, with a similar ethos to the free software movement.

FreeIO.org "Free Hardware Design Resources for the Free Software Community

SPI-INC.org "SPI is a non-profit organization which was founded to help organizations develop and distribute open hardware and software. We encourage programmers to use the GNU General Public License or other licenses that allow free redistribution and use of software, and hardware developers to distribute documentation that will allow device drivers to be written for their product.

www-ASIM.LIP6.fr/recherche/alliance "Alliance is a complete set of free CAD tools and portable libraries for VLSI design. It includes a VHDL compiler and simulator, logic synthesis tools, and automatic place and route tools. A complete set of portable CMOS libraries is provided. Alliance is the result of a twelve year effort spent at ASIM department of LIP6 laboratory of the Pierre et Marie Curie University (Paris VI, France). Alliance has been used for research projects such as the 875 000 transistors StaCS superscalar microprocessor and 400 000 transistors IEEE Gigabit HSL Router.

Chitlesh.FedoraPeople.org/FEL "Fedora Electronic Lab Design, Simulate and Program electronics.

LiberLab.net "The Open Source project Liberlab aims to help democratize educational scientific experimentation through the creation and use of a DIY digital lab at a very low price ( ~ 15 Ì/$). Liberlab can also be used to learn about robotics, automation, human-machine interface or interactive arts.

Wiiuse.sf.net "Wiiuse is a library written in C that communicates with several Nintendo Wii remotes. It captures button presses, motion sensing, IR tracking, and supports the nunchuk and classic controller. Unlike similar projects, wiiuse is single threaded and nonblocking making it a light weight and clean API.

LCDProc.org "LCDproc is a piece of software that displays real-time system information from your Linux/*BSD box on a LCD.

OpenBIOS.info "The OpenBIOS project provides you with most free and open source Open Firmware implementations available.

coreboot.org "coreboot (formerly known as LinuxBIOS) is a Free Software project aimed at replacing the proprietary BIOS (firmware) you can find in most of today's computers.

chumby.com ?
WOW! Thank you, AGNUcius!

A side note, I really hope to do something with OpenEEG someday....
Hi Sam,

I suppose you saw my list already, it's fairly comprehensive as well:'

http://p2pfoundation.net/Product_Hacking
There's a lot going on, really too much for even summarizing here. Would strongly recommend going to http://www.teslatech.info where you can see books & other publications about many such projects. Most importantly, this site will allow you to access the ExtraOrdinary Technology conference coming up in Albuquerque July 31 - Aug 3. That will give you the best scope on what's happening.

Some of these projects date back a long time. Will try to upload an article file about it which is also included on my http://www.teslaacademy.info site.
Report on 2006 ExtraOrdinay Technology conference.
Attachments:

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Josef Davies-Coates.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service